July 30, 2014

Let's Count Money!

I'm always looking for a fun and engaging way for students to practice counting money, so I wanted to come up with a new activity.  Everyone likes money and everyone likes to eat- right?!! So the Tortoise and Hare Cafe was born!  I created a menu with simple prices for my students.  To begin this activity I gave each student a cup of money ranging from $1.10 to $1.30.  I wanted the students to have different amounts so they all didn't come up with the same answers or bought the same items! In each student's cup I included pennies, nickels, dimes, and quarters.  If your students aren't quite ready for quarters then just leave them out.  

Once I gave the cups to the students, I welcomed them to the Tortoise and Hare Cafe and handed out their pages. Students took out their money and sorted by value.  I then had them record it on their page.  After we looked over the menu together, pointed out some prices, students then chose their items. Some decided to try and use all their money and others did not.  I pretended I was the waiter so everyone had to pay me! 

Overall, my students loved this activity!!!  They had so much fun, and most everyone said they enjoyed their visit to the Tortoise and Hare Cafe! 
Please click on the image below to grab a copy.



Here are a few samples below:



No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...